Weird Noises Your AC Shouldn’t Make
For some homeowners, it’s difficult to tell which noises coming from your air conditioner are normal and which are a sign that something could be wrong. When in doubt, always call in an expert to assess your unit. Still, it’s good for you to know what sounds your AC definitely shouldn’t make so you can be on the lookout.
You might have a problem with your air conditioner if you hear:
- Buzzing – While this is typically an issue with older units, a loud buzzing sound usually indicates an electrical problem. Anything from trouble with your circuit breaker to a faulty relay switch could be causing the buzz.
- Rattling or Clanking – These sounds are a good indication that a part is loose within your air conditioner or that your unit’s blower has become misaligned. If it’s a loose part, the longer you let it rattle, the greater your chances are that the part will completely detach.
- Thumping or Banging – If the rattling and clanking stops, and the thumping and banging starts, that loose part has likely come off and is being thrown around your AC unit. This situation can cause serious, costly damage to the rest of your system, so call in a heating and cooling expert immediately.
- Squealing or Screeching – While it may be alarming, thankfully this racket is warning you about a fairly inexpensive fix. Your fan belt either needs to be replaced or simply needs lubricant. You will want to make sure you get a new belt soon though, because when it breaks, the blower will stop.
- Whacking – This sound isn’t as critical as it is annoying. However, a whacking or thwapping sound can mean that debris has become lodged in your motor blades. In order to keep your motor from wearing out faster, you’ll want to clean out the mess.
If any of these noises seem familiar, it’s better to get them checked out sooner rather than later. What starts as a small, relatively cheap problem can always grow worse when left unattended. Call an HVAC expert today!
Call Dynamic Air Services for AC Repair & Maintenance
Recognize one or more of the sounds above? We can help! Family owned and operated Dynamic Air Services believes that residents in Orange County and the surrounding area deserve excellent customer service, high quality work, and fair, affordable prices. So, that’s what we deliver!
Contact us online or call 949-518-3576 now!
Find a high quality Amana heating & cooling system from Dynamic Air Services.Learn More
We have great discounts & promotions.Learn more about them today »